Croft Farm Enterprises were appointed by St Peters School and LHL Group to construct a new armoury building for the Combined Cadet Force to serve the pupils at St Peters School. The works commenced in 2017 during the school winter holidays to meet St Peter’s time constraints, also creating ease of access throughout the contract period. The build consisted of a secure armoury, office and store room for the CCF staff. Due to the nature of the facility, very specific security requirements were set by the Ministry of Defence MOD and Combined Cadet Force, of which we achieved throughout the building envelope.
A collaborative approach with St Peters School and LHL ensured the challenging access arrangements due to the location of the building on campus and the school holiday time constraints were all achieved. Bespoke projects like this are fulfilling to deliver for the pupils of such a prestigious school in York.
A brief history, In the Spring of 1903 a miniature rifle range opened at the School. It was hoped this would lead to the formation of a Cadet Corps (Officers’ Training Corps or O.T.C.), eventually founded by the Head Master S.M. Toyne, in 1913, shortly before the beginning of the First World War. In 1941 the O.T.C was superseded by the Junior Training Corps (J.T.C.) and this in turn was reborn as the CCF (Combined Cadet Force) in 1948.